One of the services that RNLI provide is a FREE Sea Check of you boat.
The RNLI would like to offer you a completely free, friendly and confidential service that looks at safety aspects involved with your boat. SEA Check is neither a test nor an inspection and there is no pass or fail. Conducted by one of our highly trained volunteers, SEA Check is a personal face-to-face safety advice service that takes place on board your own craft. You set the time and we tailor our visit to your vessel and the type of boating that you do.
Here is an extract from the RNLI web site
What are the benefits?
* A free independent check of safety equipment.
* An opportunity to discuss safety matters.
* The satisfaction of completing a check.
* A sticker showing your boat has completed the check.
* Your copy of the check form, which may attract further benefits.
* Helping the RNLI in its core activity of saving lives at sea.
I had my boat checked over last year and it is completely painless and very informative. Below is the checklist and comments that I was given so you can see how comprehensive it is.